VLAN on the Ethernet

Read the Updated Get Console FAQ Here, and post additional Questions that we should be answering

Moderator: sergey

Taitaro

VLAN on the Ethernet

Postby Taitaro » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:39 am

Hi,

I was wondering if the ethernet-port on the airconsole supports VLAN for management of switches that only accept management on specific VLANs.

Regards
Tait

Taitaro

Re: VLAN on the Ethernet

Postby Taitaro » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:03 am

Sent this email the 21:st. No reponse yet.

Hello,
I know this is a sales-email but I have not received a response on the forums and was thinking maybe you could forward my question to the support.

My question:
The AirConsole has one USB and one Ethernet-port. Are both for configuring equipment? If the ethernet-port can be used to configure let's say switches and routers, then I'm wondering if the ethernet-interface supports VLANs.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Taitaro

Postby Taitaro » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:04 am

Sent this email today, the 4:th.

Greetings,

I am very interested in the Air Console but have yet to receive a response to my question below neither by mail nor on your forums.
Would it be possible to get an answer to my question?

Regards

----------------

Answering their possible customers doesn not seem to be a priority to this company.

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:22 am

Hi Taitaro

Sorry it has taken a while to answer you.

The Airconsole hardware is capable of supporting VLAN tags on its wired ethernet port but we have yet to code support for it. Primarily this is not because we don't want to, but because its an edge feature that is a bit lower down the priority list as far as requests for features from customers. Clearly you would like it so we can put it into the mix for the 2.2 or 2.3 release.

We've been looking at embedding an nProbe or wireshark style collector on Airconsole to turn it into a little Netflow collector or packet capture device (with the iOS app streamed the capture/netflow over WIFI) - that feature would benefit from vlan support.

Thanks
Simon Hope

Taitaro

Postby Taitaro » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your response, that sounds promising.
Could you just clarify on my other question please.
Are both interfaces available for confing equipment or is only the console-interface used for this?
Could I for example configure a switch that has no console-port by connecting the air-console to the switch over ethernet and then connect an iPad to the air-console over wireless?

daniel

Postby daniel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:36 am

The wired ethernet interface and wireless interface form a bridge so you can communicate to devices plugged into the wired interface by connecting to the Airconsole wireless interface.

The bridge can be configured to operate as a DHCP server in which case your managed device and the device you are using for configuring will be assigned an IP, or alternatively you can disable the built-in DHCP server and rely on the managed device operating a DHCP server, or alternatively use statically configured IP addresses.

The user manual has further explanation with diagrams that may be useful. See www.get-console.com/airconsole sidebar - "Download User Manual"

Return to “FAQ”