Problems with Serial comm using AirConsole or L2-RJ45V

Read the Updated Get Console FAQ Here, and post additional Questions that we should be answering

Moderator: sergey

Jimmoltz

Problems with Serial comm using AirConsole or L2-RJ45V

Postby Jimmoltz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:31 am

I have both the AirConsole and Redpark L2-RJ45V with the DB9 adaptors.

I can get both to connect and talk between my laptop and iPad using Get Console app.
My problem is when I try to connect to a serial data recorder we use, there is no terminal display of the data from the recorder. :evil:

With a laptop we use HyperTerminal or putty.
Settings are 9600,8,1,none, no flow control.
Hit the enter key and a menu is displayed.
After you select what log you want the data prints out to the screen.

Any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:

simon
Site Admin

Re: Problems with Serial comm using AirConsole or L2-RJ45V

Postby simon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:36 pm

In Get Console, please configure the same settings as Hyperterminal. Then in top left where of the nav bar there is a hidden button that allows for some serial diagnostics. tap just to the left of the settings cog to bring up debug menu. You can see how many packets sent/received from serial port. You can also enable detailed serial port debugging (when you turn logging on the log file will be detailed hex code rather than normal log file). Please do this capture and send to simon@get-console.com

If you are getting no received packets apart from 1 or 2 initial control packet that actually comes from the redpark cable itself, then it will most likely be a physical pinout issue. When using hyperterminal are you using a USB-to-DB9Serial adaptor? If so with the L2-RJ45 cable you will need to use a "Null/Reverse" RJ45 to DB9 adaptor as the standard Get Console C2/L2-RJ45V cable has null pin outs (standard for Cisco serial console ports) so to convert back to DB9 you use the "Null RJ45-to-DB9" adaptor - we sell these or they come included in Airconsole Pro kits.

Basically if it can work with Hyperterm it can work with Get Console, and it will 99% be a physical pinout issue.

Thanks
Simon

Jimmoltz

Postby Jimmoltz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:52 am

Simon,
I purchased the Pro kit, so I do have the adapters. I have already configured the app to be the same as HyperTerminal.

My laptop has an RS-232 serial port, and I have a USB to serial adapter as well.

Both work just fine with the laptop and the device, so does the blue USB cable that came with the AirConsole.

It does require a full null modem connection.
( 6,1-4 : 7-8 etc... Not just roll 2-3) I just use a commercially available adapter.

I did use the serial debug log, but there is no data received. It shows data going out though.
I used TALBreakout software and my laptop as a serial analyzer in-between the device and AirConsole. I can see the command data going to the device, but it does not respond back. It responds just fine with the laptop.

If I use the print function on the device, I get the data back to my iPad from the AirConsole.

The L2-RJ45V cable performs the same as the AirConsole.

It is puzzling! What's the difference?

It there some way to use the AirConsole with windows and HyperTerminal to check for app issues?

daniel

Postby daniel » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:20 am

If you are not getting any response from the commands that you send from Get-Console, you may want to check what the enter key is sending in terms of characters - e.g. CR, NL, CR NL - these can be configured from the Get-Console app.

Return to “FAQ”