Air Consol on IPAD via wifi or bluetooth without Get Console

Questions, FAQ, Feature Requests and Troubleshooting for Airconsole

Moderator: sergey

tafilaj

Air Consol on IPAD via wifi or bluetooth without Get Console

Postby tafilaj » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:37 am

Hi,

I just got delivery of my Air Console 2.

I was surprised to find that I can not use it with my IPAD or Iphone unless i pay another £6.99 or £5 on top for one of the applications.

Please someone tell me that I am wrong?

Thanx.

daniel

Re: Air Consol on IPAD via wifi or bluetooth without Get Con

Postby daniel » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:57 am

You don't specifically say what task you are trying to accomplish (e.g. if you need full modem line control and dynamic baud rate switching, or a more simple case of just connecting to serial port with default pre-configured settings), but the easiest and most full featured apps for interacting with the Airconsole are GetConsole and RapidSSH.

There are other alternatives, many of which are free - it depends on exactly what you are trying to achieve:

- You can use Safari on your iPad/iPhone to visit http://192.168.10.1/terminal.asp and interact with a VT100 terminal emulator connected to the serial port [replace the IP address with the actual IP address of your Airconsole].

- You can use the terminal emulator of your choice to connect to 192.168.10.1 on port 3696 (telnet) or 2167 (raw serial). For most terminal programs you would create a telnet session but instead of connecting to port 23, change the port to 3696.

- You can use your Websockets client of choice (e.g. Safari or a different 3rd party application) to connect to the Airconsole using Websockets.

- If you have programming skills you can write your own application to interact with the Airconsole using the freely available SDKs at http://www.get-console.com (or alternatively suggest to the developers of your favourite terminal program that they add support for Airconsole)

Hope that helps

tafilaj

Postby tafilaj » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:09 am

thank you for this info Daniel.

I must say I am reading the manual and all it states until now is how to use getconsole or SerialBoot, none of this info is on it.

Do you have any link i can follow how to use the bluetooth on the Iphone/Ipad?

I am a network guy not a programer so the SDK suggestion goes out of the window for me.

daniel

Postby daniel » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:20 am

Unfortunately the Bluetooth on the iPad/iPhone is intentionally crippled by Apple and can only access an Airconsole over Bluetooth using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) rather than the more conventional method of using Bluetooth 2.1/EDR with SPP (Serial Port Profile). As such, to use the BLE feature with iPad you will need the GetConsole app or to convince someone to add support to their existing app using the AirconsoleSDK.

Of course Bluetooth works normally on Windows/Android platforms without these limitations (with loads of 3rd party software available for free).

yozz3r

Postby yozz3r » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:37 am

Of course Bluetooth works normally on Windows/Android platforms without these limitations (with loads of 3rd party software available for free).

Hi Daniel,

I have the same issue, except on Windows 7. The AC is asking to connect to the BT on the Win 7 box, but I have no way of knowing what the pass key is.

Is there a guide you have for Windows I can follow?

On a side note, perhaps what you have described to tafilaj could be made into a guide as well?

Regards

Y.

daniel

Postby daniel » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:26 pm

@yozz3r - if Windows is asking for a PIN code then your BT stack in Windows isn't operating in BT2.1 mode with Secure Simple Pairing. A PIN code request indicates it is attempting to use legacy 2.0 pairing. This problem usually goes away when you change the Bluetooth dongle you are using with Windows. Note SSP was added to Windows with Vista SP2.

We are considering adding BT2.0 pairing support, but at this time there isn't a great demand for it.

Return to “Airconsole”