Websockets: wss connections

Questions, FAQ, Feature Requests and Troubleshooting for Airconsole

Moderator: sergey

msabatini

Websockets: wss connections

Postby msabatini » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:40 am

Hi, I should use a wss connection to bypass some android < 4.4 problems (see my previous thread).
Is it possible to make it, or the only websockets setting is the connection port?
Thank you

daniel

Re: Websockets: wss connections

Postby daniel » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:08 am

Hello,

Airconsole doesn't currently have support for encrypted Websockets (wss://) , only ws:// at the moment.

wss:// support may be added in a future firmware release, but it would require that the end-user upload a valid SSL certificate and private key to the Airconsole. The CN common name embedded in the SSL certificate would need to match the DNS name used to reach the Airconsole (e.g. in general this wouldn't work with IP address alone) which makes wss:// less useful. I am guessing that most Websocket clients/browsers would reject a self-signed SSL certificate.

msabatini

Re: Websockets: wss connections

Postby msabatini » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:42 pm

Hi Daniel, thanks for your answer.
By the way, I was thinking to wss as a manner to have binary communication working with websockets between an android device and the airconsole. As I explained in another thread, the webview component, wich is the basic component for webapps, is working badly with the unencrypted ws protocol (it needs a plugin if you use phonegap, but the receive doesn't work; it works only in android > 4.3 because the webview component is based on chrome), instead wss should always work (tested making a webapp that connects to http://www.websocket.org/echo.html).
So, to summarize the problem, there's no way to have a webapp with two-way communication with websockets between an android < 4.4 device and the airconsole. Do you have any idea or a workaround?
Thank you again.

Return to “Airconsole”