Force10 console connections

Questions, FAQ, Feature Requests and Troubleshooting for Airconsole

Moderator: sergey

areeves

Force10 console connections

Postby areeves » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:54 am

Hello,

I recently finished working on an issue connecting to a Force10 (specifically an S50N) with get-console support and wanted to report my findings here in case others run into the same problem.

The issue: The Force10 switches we have include an RJ-45 console port on the front of the device. Before the Airconsole, I could plug in to a notebook with Serial-to-RJ45 adapter and a straight though cable, fire up Putty and be on my way. Out of the box, I could not get the same results from the Airconsole. I worked with support to try many different flow control and connection settings, I was even given an inversed eeprom to flash the included USB-to-RJ45 cable, all with no success.

The resolution: Get-Console support came across a Force10 kb article that suggested implementing a rollover cable in certain connectivity situations, which solved the issue for us. The final/working setup is as follows: Airconsole -> USB-to-RJ45 cable -> RJ45 coupler/joiner -> rollover cable -> Force10 switch.

Notes: I used the rollover cable diagram here to make my own (from what I've been told the swapping of pins 3 & 6 is the important part), and purchased the RJ45 coupler/joiner from a local shop (I believe it's important for the joiner to have all 8 contacts... from what I understand some don't).

Return to “Airconsole”