TFTP-Server

Read the Updated Get Console FAQ Here, and post additional Questions that we should be answering

Moderator: sergey

andres.graef

TFTP-Server

Postby andres.graef » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Hi there,
I'm trying to upload files to the newly available tftp-server using a tftp-client, unsuccessfully I might add. Has anyone done it yet? do you have to use a special tftp-client?
THX!

daniel

Re: TFTP-Server

Postby daniel » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Andres,

The TFTP server does work to send/receive files, and a standard client does work. I'm not sure which client you are using? If you let us know we may be able to troubleshoot further.

There are a few bits that might cause a transfer to fail, so hopefully the following is useful:

- make sure the TFTP server is running - from the File Manager press the TFTP Server button and verify that the status is "running" and that the text "Listening on IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" is present. The TFTP server only runs over the WiFi interface, not the 3G one
- make sure that "Allow Uploads" is turned on otherwise the upload will be administratively prevented (your client will give you an error message to this effect)
- start your transfer before the iPhone/iPad sleeps or locks its screen. If a transfer is in progress then GetConsole will prevent the device from sleeping, but to save battery life (and in line with Apple guidance) if a transfer is not in progress, the device will sleep as normal
- you almost certainly want to do an "octet" transfer rather than a "netascii" otherwise you client will probably truncate the file you are tranferring if it contains non ascii characters. The transfer mode will be a setting on your client, for example the Windows client you would use "-i", e.g. tftp -i 192.168.1.100 put file.txt, for the Linux client use "-m binary"
- make sure any firewall you are running is not filtering the packets. TFTP runs on UDP port 69. GetConsole will send all responses from port 69 too which simplifies any firewall config. In most cases none will be needed as a stateful firewall will see this as an established UDP session initiated by your tftp client (traffic to/from port 69 on iPhone).
- if your transfer is large (over approx 32MB) then there are some potential issues with client settings and older clients that don't support the newer RFCs (I think you are unlikely to find any of these in common use though though). The TFTP server in GetConsole supports RFC 1350 (TFTP v2), RFC 2347 (Option negotiation), RFC 2348 (block size/blksize), RFC 2349 (timeout interval/timeout/tsize). It also supports sequence number wraparound to 0. We have tested transferring with files much larger than 32MB with no issues.

Hope that helps, please let us know how you get on!

andres.graef

Postby andres.graef » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:12 am

Hi Daniel,

I'm using the WinAgents TFTP Client version 2.0b.
wenn I start the file tranfer I get the following error message:

" Error occurred during the file transfer (Error code = 2): Failed to open output file."
my command is as follows:

tftp -i 192.168.1.200 put c:\daten\software\tftp\tftp.exe whereas the IP-address is my iPad.

If I try the command with a file that doesn't exist on my pc I get a different error:
"Error code 0: Can not open local file" which is correct.

It seems as though the get.console tftp-server doesn't allow files to be stored.

thanks for your reply!

Andres

ps: I tried to transfer a file with a ftp-server on the ipad an it worked!

pps: I played a bit more and I am now getting the following error message:
"Error code 8": tsize must be 0 on RRQ
Under Local Files in the File Manager the file gets listed with 0 bytes!

Any ideas?

daniel

Postby daniel » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:17 am

I believe this may be a bug in the GetConsole TFTP server code in the way that is deals with the "tsize" option on write requests.

Can you try turning off the tsize option in the WinAgents client? (-s option)

e.g.

tftp -s -i 192.168.1.200 put c:\daten\software\tftp\tftp.exe

Update: I have confirmed this is a bug in our tsize code for WRQ packets. It is fixed in the next release of GetConsole. Use the "-s" option until then as a work-around.

Return to “FAQ”