Virtual Com Port for WinXP

Questions, FAQ, Feature Requests and Troubleshooting for Airconsole

Moderator: sergey

Jimmoltz

Virtual Com Port for WinXP

Postby Jimmoltz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:30 am

Do you currently have a virtual com port driver for WinXP? I know there is one for Win7/8, but we still
have XP on our Laptops for field use.

Or do you have any white papers for the AirConsole so I can develop my own? I'm pretty sure you wanted this unit to
be used in any type of serial com needed.

I have been tasked to make using this unit as end-user friendly as I can. If successful, my company will be purchasing multiple units. 10-20 to start with the possibility of even more. :mrgreen:

I know that if you connect to the units IP address:3696 you are connected to the serial port. But I need to be able to perform baud, data, parity and flow control for different devices on the fly. They don't like having to use the web GUI to reconfigure it every time.

Works awesome wifi or Ethernet if in a noisy env.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

daniel

Re: Virtual Com Port for WinXP

Postby daniel » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:53 pm

The Windows driver available on the Airconsole website is a version of com0com - I'm not sure if it is compatible with WindowsXP, but it is open source so you are able to make changes.

There are other virtual COM port drivers available - e.g. HW Group VSP (free) is a popular one that support RFC2217 for in band baud rate negotiation, etc. (For HW Group VSP be sure to tick the 'force binary' option under advanced serial option in Airconsole v1.04 and later)

If COM port emulation isn't required for your application, or you are interested in developing your own solution, you should read the RFC at http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2217 for full documentation of the protocol.

Return to “Airconsole”