AirconsoleMgr detects only 1 of 2 Airconsole2's nearby

Questions, FAQ, Feature Requests and Troubleshooting for Airconsole

Moderator: sergey

granoff

AirconsoleMgr detects only 1 of 2 Airconsole2's nearby

Postby granoff » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:36 am

I am using the v1.43 iOS SDK. I have a table view controller setup that instantiates an AirconsoleMgr and scans for devices over Bluetooth LE only. I also have two Airconsole2's online and operating, right next to me. My app can only detect one Airconsole2, not both, and for no apparent reason. The app will detect either one of the Airconsole2's, but ONLY one of them. The -deviceAdded callback is called just once, according to logging I have in my implementation of that method.

Help! Being able to detect ALL nearby Airconsole2's (and communicate with what they're connected to) is vital to our project.

Thanks for any suggestions or at least acknowledgment that this is an issue and when it might be fixed.

Thanks!

-Mark

daniel

Re: AirconsoleMgr detects only 1 of 2 Airconsole2's nearby

Postby daniel » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:32 pm

Hello,

The SDK will stop scanning over Bluetooth LE once a device is connected. This is to reduce power usage (see Apple guidelines). We are looking at adding an option to an upcoming SDK to continue scanning whilst already connected to a device but it would then be up to the developer to stop scanning when appropriate to conserve battery power

granoff

Re: AirconsoleMgr detects only 1 of 2 Airconsole2's nearby

Postby granoff » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:38 am

Thanks Daniel.

I would say the right thing to do is to allow the SDK user (i.e. developers) to decide if they want discovery to stop when any BLE connections are made.

In a scenario where there are multiple AirConsole's to choose from, and it is necessary to connect to the AC to talk to the connected device behind it to say, get a user-friendly identifier for the user's benefit in choosing the one they want, it makes perfect sense to allow multiple BLE connections BRIEFLY.

Your docs should highlight that having multiple BLE connections for any prolonged period puts a drain on the battery, and ultimately an app would want to have just one... and cite Apple's best practices on the topic. :-)

Return to “Airconsole”